Back to school is a constant pursuit for Home Inspectors, and every home is a unique set of systems. HVAC systems are always changing or needing maintenance. Clue: Did you know an infrared camera can detect a clogged A/C Condenser? All condensers create heat which can be detected by IR Camera. The following picture is a Condenser running normally (left) and one with miswired motor (right).
- Note current thermostat setting
- Set thermostat to lower temperature
- Go outside and scan the Condenser unit
- Cold in the middle indicates clogged coils
What Other uses for Infra-Red?
- Electrical Panels: Hot breakers are either overloaded or shorted
- Water Presence: Water is usually colder than environment
- Insulation Presence: Hot Ceiling where joists are visible = Deficient Insulation
- Air Infiltration: Bad seals around doors, cold outlets = deficient wall insulation
- Temperature: Water Temp, Oven Temp, Dish Washer temp